Opt-Out Information

Can I Opt-Out?

If you already have extended health and dental coverage through another service provider, you can OPT-OUT from the CCSS Health & Dental program. You only need to opt-out once. You are able to opt-in to the plan at anytime during the year; however, you can only OPT-OUT within 30 days of the start of your program. This 30 day window occurs only once per year, when a student begins full-time studies at Camosun.

You MUST provide proof of alternative extended health and dental coverage to opt-out.

Click here to OPT-OUT OF THE PLAN

Do I need to Opt-Out?

Only students with 60 hours of class time over a 7 week period qualify for the extended health & dental program. You can determine if you’re enrolled in the Health and Dental plan by logging into myCamosun and selecting FEE & PAYMENT DETAILS for the current or or previous semesters within the past 12 months to see if the extended health & dental fees ($143 each as of Fall 2022), which will provide you with 1 year of health & dental coverage for a very low cost.

Whatis the Deadline to Opt Out

Students are given one (1) opportunity at the start of their initial academic year to opt-out of the health and/or dental plan. If a student previously opted out, within the past four (4) years they will not need to complete a new opt-out request as their status normally carries forward for four (4) years unless a student turns 25. A student’s opt-out status will end on their 25th birthday unless evidence of their continued enrollment in an extended health and/or dental plan is provided to the CCSS’s Benefit Office.

NO EXCEPTIONS will be made if the deadline is missed. It is the student’s responsibility to pay the plan fees, should they miss the applicable opt-out deadline.

If you are unsure if you need to opt-out, please contact us and we can check to see if you are on our plan.

How can I Opt-Out?

Please note the Opt-Out period occurs only once per year, and opt-outs can be only be accepted within 30 days of the start of your program or plan renewal. This is a critical element: opting in/out is only possible ONCE per year.

You can opt-out in person, or online. To opt-out, you will need to have alternative third-party health coverage, and provide proof of insurance. If you are unsure about the opt-out process, please visit our health and dental website, or contact your nearest Health and Dental officer at either campus.

You are required to upload documentation of your confirmation of comparable coverage. Confirmation of coverage must show the name of the insurance company providing coverage and the policy number. Acceptable forms of confirmation of coverage are:

  • copy of a benefits card
  • confirmation letter from the employer/insurance company
  • a recent statement of claim
  • web page print-out

Click here to OPT-OUT OF THE PLAN