Who are Camosun Students for Environmental Awareness?
The Camosun College Student Society is dedicated to improving the environmental sustainability of the Camosun College campuses and promoting environmental awareness to the students of Camosun College. In 2008, the CCSS designated a board member overseeing sustainability-related projects and campaigns. The Sustainability Director also coordinates Camosun Students for Environmental Awareness volunteer collective. Together, they’ve helped the CCSS proactively lobby Camosun College for more environmentally sustainable practices, resulting in the water bottle refill stations, recycling stations, aquaponic greenhouse, and exclusively recycled paper that is used on campus today. The CSEA can also act as the Camosun contingent for greater sustainability-related campaigns such as Make Transit Work, Defend the Coast, and Powershift.
- Camosun Sustainability Festival (Coming October 2017)
- Auto-shutdown software for computer labs at night are a simple, inexpensive way to reduce energy and electric bills, as UBC Okanagan and University of Calgary have recently demonstrated.
- Consulting with the Make Transit Work coalition to consider additional bus service to Interurban
- Repurposing the existing Lost & Found areas as “Free Store” convenient pick-up/drop-off locations to encourage active reusing of clothes, school supplies and possibly furniture and books.
- Free afternoon drop-in documentary screenings to facilitate conversations and act as CSEA meetings
- Instituting an accessible garden volunteer system for students at both campuses
- Lobbying Camosun to adopt 100% recycled paper practices (2007)
- Lobbying Camosun to install additional water bottle refill stations (2009-2011)
- Funding the aquaponics greenhouse for Environmental Technology Program (2013)
- Supporting/Participating in “Defend the Coast – Enbridge Pipeline Protest” (2012)
- Supporting Powershift (2013)
What can I do?
Join the CSEA Camosun Students for Environmental Awareness Facebook group! It’s not just another page to like; it’s the headquarters where organization and participation happens, including agendas, polls, and feedback opportunities. CSEA meetings are typically every two weeks at alternating campuses. In addition to volunteers needed for gathering petition signatures and making Sustainability Day the best event possible. Student suggestions, concerns, and ideas are always welcomed!